Saturday, March 26, 2016

I Live In Florida! By Beverly Jones

One day a visitor approached me and said, "Hey cutie, I am visiting Florida for the summer and want to know, What Makes Summer Great for You?" I thought this to be a random question to ask a stranger, and did not like to be addressed as cutie, but I thought, 'I have a 20 minute wait for the bus, what better way to spend it than talking to a stranger?' In the past, I would brush a talkative stranger off by providing a short answer to their question. If I really had no time to waste, I would be very short and inaccurate in reply. In fact, I would simply yell, 'everything' as the reply, regardless of the question asked. This day was different,I felt like talking. I felt like talking a lot! I pondered for one quick moment, took a deep breath, then blurted these words..."First, I must share that I had to come to grips with working year around; I did it! I'm a Storyteller! Some people call me cutie! I do this job every single day, and make time to rest and do other things in the summer. Even though I'm cute, I work like everyone else whether my task is filling a sink full of hot soapy water and scrubbing gently soiled plates, cups, forks and knives; or getting dressed and fighting through tens of cars to make it into the office to punch the clock. One time, I counted up to 30 cars in front of me, and that was at one of the five traffic lights that I must pass to get to my office! While driving, I would blast my music, bobble my head, and stare at people to get a smile, or any reaction. Of course, no one would look at me! I was positive that everyone and everything, including traffic lights, were artificial..., and programmed to do what it does. I thought to myself, this can't be happening,not in Florida, and not during summer...so...I stopped driving in the summer, and began taking this bus...Lol! Sorry, I get off subject sometimes. What makes summer great for me? The sun comes out and puts on the best display of radiance I have ever seen, The sky is intelligently painted with a shade of blue that no man can mock, The proper mix of air and vitamin D on my skin, The balanced smell of sea life and salt in the ocean, The mist of rain that lasts long enough to perk me up for the drive home from work or play, I like summer because I like the fact that I can do everything that I enjoy doing year around, except without a cold 'virus' aggravating my ears, nose and throat, the extra bulk from a winter coat; or the intensity of life. I like summer because I know that when people are hot and bothered, they desire less stress, so they tend to do fun things like visit the beach. Summer is great because I live in Florida, and Florida stays hot and bothered! What makes summer great?, my final answer would have to be...Florida is always hot!  Lol!" When I opened my eyes, I saw the bus in front of me, and the visitor running the opposite way. I yelled, 'Hey, where are you going?, the bus is here! Besides, I was going to ask you what you like about summer!' The visitor threw up his hands and yelled, "everything!" I replied, 'Thanks Cutie!' #msbthestoryteller #justbecause #blogtalksamething #Florida

1 comment:

Ms.B,The Storyteller said...

Bring me to your special event to view me dressed in character, performing this, and stories like it live, for a mature audience who enjoys a great punch line! I'll save the moral of the story until then ;)